About Me

My photo
I am the wife of a K9 Officer and very proud of the work him and Hunter do each and every day. I am also the proud new momma of a beautiful baby boy! I have hung up my Masters in Early Childhood Special Ed to become a stay at home mommy. I am so excited to be starting my new job, although, so far, it doesn't feel like a job!

Saturday, August 21, 2010

As a Police Officer's wife...

I have learned a few things.

1. As cool as I thought it would be to be a cop's wife and get out of tickets. It's not. There is nothing cool about having to admit to the Officer that just pulled you over that you are married to a fellow brother and "Yes Sir, I do know better and no, my husband will not be happy with this." I'd rather get the ticket than have to admit that ever again!
2. I thank God every morning he comes home and pray for his safety every night he leaves.

3. I never argue or disagree with him in any way before he leaves for his shift or while he is on duty. It may be the last time I see or speak to him and even if it is not, he does not need the distraction.

4. I kiss him goodbye each and every day. I make sure I am here before he leaves for that very reason. It may be our last kiss.

5. There is no guarantee that the above 2 lesson's learned won't happen.

6. I am completely defensive of all Police Officer's and their jobs now. Please don't discuss with me how you disagree with them, how wrong you think they are or how mad about your ticket you are. It will offend me.

7. I use to be that person that would read the news story and think, "those cops, again with the excessive force!" Now I know that there is way more force that could be used and I think, "Thank you Lord that that man/woman gets to go home safely to his family."

8. Just because the bad guy doesn't have a gun, doesn't mean he cannot wrestle with the Officers and get their gun or get their taser, render them helpless, then get their gun. There is always more to the story then Cops are trigger happy. For most of them, they really just want to go home to their families and keep the innocent safe.

9. I now know that what I read in the news is about 1/4 of the story. The real story will probably never be printed, it just isn't as interesting. I now know the media loves to go against the Officers, most of the time. The public enjoys that more. It's okay, but reread #6 before discussing what you read/heard with me.

10. OK9 is our hero. Whenever I have the opportunity to shout out the good that him or anyone he works with has done, I will. More often than not, Police Officer's are not looked upon as the hero. They rarely get the pat on the back they should.

And Finally, I attended four Officer's memorials last year. They were ambushed while on the job protecting the community. I never want to attend another one. I never want to be the family sitting in the front row. It was heartbreaking and I did not know the Officers killed. At the end of the shift, I want it to be OK9 and his partners that make it home, unharmed, not the scummy, criminal who thinks he can do whatever he wants.

I married into a life with an Officer. It's not ever what I thought I wanted but I love my life. It brings me to my knees daily. My life is so much more than being a LEO's wife, but the little part of it that is, these are some of the things I think about now. They have been on my mind more and more in the recent months. Police Officers put their lives on the line each time they put on that uniform. It is the career they chose, one pause during their shift can mean the difference between coming home or not. One error in judgement can mean their career. They get the privilege of putting on that uniform and walking with their brother's in blue to keep us safe. I wish they were more appreciated. I wish others knew what I know, you would be more careful with your judgements on Police Officers. I know I am, now.

Worth watching if you haven't seen:
Glen Beck: Leave the cops alone!
taken from A Police Wife

Pay particular attention to this statement at the end: Because when you need them and call them, they will come to your dirt bag house and stand between you and a bullet, that's the kind of people they are!

4 comments:

  1. Yes. Not much else to say! You were missed at CWC today. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen sister. Amen. If you read my last post, you might be interested to see what Police League Softball did to honor those who have fallen this past year. They do it every year in fact. Always an honor to be there...always so hard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jenney, I saw that! It was awesome! What a great way to honor and support them!

    ReplyDelete