What an honor I have to call my sweetie, husband. Yesterday, I made us heart shaped, strawberry pancakes, bacon and eggs. (Well, he made the eggs.) I made them yesterday because this morning was church and I just knew if I tried to make them today I would be running too late!
Scrambled eggs with cheese for me (Oh, so sick of scrambled eggs!) and over easy for him (so jealous!) (LOL, as I was previewing this, I noticed my big belly in the picture!)
Last year for Valentines day weekend I came up here. I had a 4 day weekend from school, just like this year, thank you Mr. President from a long, long time ago. Hubby had to work on the night I flew in so I was able to do a little grocery shopping to get all the necessary items to surprise with a heart shaped pancake breakfast. Since he worked, on Saturday (Valentine's last year) I woke early and am pretty sure I was working on a paper for my Master's program, that's like all I did last spring. That and plan a move and a wedding, nothing too big. Anyway, after I let him sleep for what seemed like enough time, I surprised him with the yummy breakfast! He was totally surprised and absolutely loved it. He said to me "This is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me." "Seriously," I thought. "They are just pancakes, shaped like a heart." I about cried and deep in my heart, in that moment, knew that I loved this man so much & he loved me so much that he deserved a heart shaped pancake everyday of our lives together! From this point on, I will refer to the heart shaped pancake, but it really is just a symbol. I can't literally make him a pancake shaped like a heart everyday!
Heart shaped pancake is the little things I do each day to show him how much I love and appreciate everything he does for me and our home. It's the making sure he has a hot meal before he goes to work, the "be safe" as he walks out the door, the middle of the shift "I love you" texts, the cleaning the dishes, cleaning the house, being quiet as I get ready in the mornings because he worked the night before, making sure his favorite creamer is in the fridge for his coffee, making our house a home, loving him as much as Christ loves me and showering him with that love. It's unconditional and selfless. It comes in the shape of a heart, but often does not look like a heart. Love is loving without expecting anything in return. Its the hug, the kiss, the touch, the just being next to each other. It's the quiet moments you share when there really is nothing to say. What are the heart shaped pancakes you give to your husband each day?
Last Valentine's Day, I began this tradition of making him heart shaped pancakes because it sounded like a cutesy, romantic thing to do. Little did I know how much it would mean to him. Now, I continue it because it did mean so much to him and because I enjoy doing it for him. I was so excited for this weekend to come so I could make them for him! We even had leftovers for tomorrow! Tonight, he is taking me to some fancy movie theater with recliners, a yummy dinner and a romantic movie. I don't care what we do, as long as we are together, but it means that much more that in this, our last year as DINKS, he would splurge and treat me to a wonderful date night. His list of how he gives me heart shaped pancakes each day is way longer than mine, he loves me so much and I feel so undeserved of it most of the time. I bet we could all say that, huh?
On this note, I have a video to share. This is one of his favorite songs and I heard it this morning on our way home from church, how appropriate on Valentine's day, as a great reminder of our first love.
How Many Kings by Downhere





Hi there! I'm coming over from "A Police Wife"'s blog. I'm also a LE wife... my husband is a sheriff's deputy.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE me some cheesy scrambled eggs. I'm curious though, why can't you eat the over easy? I see you're pregnant, but I don't remember my OB ever having a problem with my egg habits... soft cheeses, yes... eggs, no.
~Elizabeth
Confessions From A Working Mom
Hey hey!!! Dropped by via "A Police Wife's" blog!!! And I LOVE it!!! Can't wait to read more!!!
ReplyDeleteI love seeing your belly in the picture! I noticed that too. :) How much time do you have left? Is it still about 2 months?
ReplyDeleteI am 31 weeks, almost there!!!
ReplyDeleteAs far as the eggs, I'm just food poisoning paranoid, so I don't eat anything undercooked. Not sure the OB ever told me not to...
Thanks for stopping by! Nice to "meet" you all!
Hello Alison,found you through MrsFuzz's blog,I too am a Deputy Sheriffs wife.
ReplyDeleteI love how you have made the heart shaped pancakes a every day symbol of your love for your dh.
Congrats on your baby boy to be!