About Me

My photo
I am the wife of a K9 Officer and very proud of the work him and Hunter do each and every day. I am also the proud new momma of a beautiful baby boy! I have hung up my Masters in Early Childhood Special Ed to become a stay at home mommy. I am so excited to be starting my new job, although, so far, it doesn't feel like a job!

Tuesday, March 2, 2010

To cloth or to not cloth, that was the question

Which has now been answered! We have decided to use cloth diapers for baby K9. You may thinking right now "Has she completely lost it?" "What kind of hippie friends is she making up there?" Well, I have not lost it and I don't think my friends are hippie. I have learned that there are many important things to these Northwesterners, recycling, being green and caring for yourself and baby naturally are among a few of them. Is this a bad thing? NO! I certainly am getting an education. I have always had a heart for things natural and good for you.
One day at lunch the girls I teach with mentioned they used cloth diapers through a diaper service. I began checking into it. Okay, first I kinda thought "No way!" Then they explained how it isn't thin cloth and diaper pins anymore. So I researched diaper service and began reading the benefits over using cloth diapers. Obviously, it is better for the environment, those poor poopey landfills. More than that though are the benefits to my child. Less diaper rashes, more breathable diaper, faster potty training and no weird chemicals touching his bum! That was actually the big one for me! I even read a study that disposable diapers can be linked to infertility in men later. Not exactly sure how accurate that is or how they even study and attribute that, but that was a selling point for hubby! Officer K9 was on board so we started researching our options.

Option #1: Diaper Service Not really a savings, but convenient. Not really cute diapers either, but have cute snappies.

Option #2: Happy Heiny one size pocket fold diapers Soooo cute! These have rave reviews online. One size! Bonus! They grow with him! I can keep and reuse for next baby!

Option #3: Envibum one size pocket diapers Again, super cute! This is a Christian family who designed and sells these. They also got really good reviews, not as many cute colors as the Happy Heiny's though.

So Option 2 & 3 are an investment up front, about the cost of 4 months of disposable diapers.
I am sure you are probably thinking "How do you keep them clean, stain free?" Well, I have been researching that and it's easy! The sunlight is a natural bleach for tough stains. Vinegar also is a good stain remover and sanitizer. Everyone recommends Charlies Soap for cleaning. It's all natural, free of everything and actually is not too much more than what Dreft or other laundry soaps cost. I also read that you can use regular detergents that are free of everything. Well, we already use that, I have sensitive skin. There are actually a ton of support blogs out there with fabulous tips for cloth diapering. I even found a recipe for an all natural diaper rash cream, since the whole zinc oxide is not good for the cloth! I found tips to help prevent leaks at night and tips for wicking the wetness off a sore bum. We are now trying to decide between Option 2 & 3. Decisions, decisions! We are not planning on starting him in the cloth, newborns are too little and require a much smaller newborn size diaper until they are over 8 lbs. I even read that waiting until 10 lbs is good.
Anyone else have any experience with cloth diapering?

So that is the latest decision making for baby going on around here! Whew!
Today we received a gift from a couple that Officer K9 went fishing in Alaska with 2 years ago, after they had their first baby. She sent us this really cute sweat suit that says "I Love mom and dad!" and The Happiest Baby on the Block. I have several friends here who have recommended this. I can't wait to watch it and see what it is all about. I am sure it will be like most things, pick and choose what will work for us. I'm really excited she sent it to us and it was very thoughtful.
Last night, I was washing my crockpot and dropped it. Stinkin pregnancy clumsiness! Ugg! I was so mad! So upset! I love my crockpot! I depend on it to make meals so Officer K9 and I can eat before he goes to work since I get home 45 minutes before he has to leave! So far I have dropped several knives, scissors, broken the crockpot, burned my arm-pretty bad, cut my finger on the broken crockpot. Ugg! What else?
I managed to use the crock today for Southwestern Flair meat. It didn't need the whole crock so it worked. I will need to get a new one though, anything with more than half liquid will not work!

See the big chunk out of it! *sniff sniff This is after we each ate 2 & I packed him 2 for work.
So here's the recipe, this came out so yummy!
3 lb beef (any beef you have on hand or is on sale. I used beef shoulder. You can use anything from flank to roast.)
2 cans, 7 oz each, green chilis
1 tbl white vinegar
1 cup chopped onion (I omitted the onion, it tasted just as yummy!)
cook on low 8-9 hours. Beef should fall shred with a fork. Okay, so I was totally skeptical because there was literally no liquid in this. But....the natural juices from the beef and from the chilis took care of that! Ours didn't exactly fall apart with a fork, but we were able to shred it. It was so flavorful! I shredded it, excuse me, Officer K9 shredded it in the crock then mixed it up with the juices.

I served this as taco meat. We used fresh guacamole, sour cream, salsa and lettuce as a topping. It would be great burrito, fajitas anything!
Again, I cooked up some fresh tortillas from Costco! Delicious! It was so good, Officer K9 ate 2 now and then took 2 more to work with him for later!


Matthew 12:50 "For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother."

3 comments:

  1. Why aren't you making me dinner more often?! :o)
    Sorry about the crock ... maybe you should add one to your baby registry?! Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Found you from "A Police Officer's Wife"! Your title caught my eye, as I do cloth diapers. I think you will find that you like cloth diapers and others around you will come around :o)
    Congratulations on your first little one, may he be a blessing to you both!
    Jenney
    www.thedraystoday.blogspot.com
    www.clothcrazy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. And hey! We are only like a couple of weeks apart in due dates!

    ReplyDelete